Monday, November 12, 2007

WoW mage talent build for leveling

Alcaras from Subcreation.net has a sticky post on the World of Warcraft forums on Mage Talent Specs. Slightly outdated probably, as it is from patch 1.12, but still a very good source. But I have problems to decide whether I should use a fire build or a frost build for leveling up.

My mage is level 17 now, and up to now has put all points into fire talents: the one that decreases the fireball casting time, and the one that adds a stun chance. The idea is to start casting fireballs at maximum range, spam them as fast as I can, and by the time the mob reaches me finish it off with a fire blast. Works great most of the time, even greater if I get a stun result in. The disadvantage of this is that it works only really well against single mobs in outdoor environments. Against grouped mobs or in confined spaces where I can't get to maximum range, it works less good.

I asked around some other mages I know and several of them preferred a frost build for leveling. It's less damage per second, but better crowd control by slowing mobs down or freezing them in place. Thus it should work better against groups and in dungeons. There is also the arcane tree as a third possibility, but that one seems to be good for support at higher levels, and not so much useful for leveling up.

So, what is your advice, should I stay fire, or should I switch to frost for leveling up my mage?

No comments:

Post a Comment