Thursday, September 10, 2009

PS3 questions: Region free? Backward compatible?

Sometimes I think there is too much information on the internet. So much that getting a straight answer to simple questions is very hard. Since the new Playstation 3 Slim came out, with a much lower price, I'm wondering whether I should buy one. But as there aren't all that many PS3 games that would interest me, whether I buy a PS3 or not also depends on other factors:

1) Is it possible to watch DVDs from different regions on the same PS3? On the PS2 I'm using a program called DVD Region X, but that doesn't appear to exist for the PS3. And while apparently *games* on the PS3 are region free, DVD and Blue-ray discs are not. If there is no solution, and I couldn't watch my collection of US DVDs on the PS3, I would be a lot less interested in buying one.

2) Do *any* PS2 games run on the PS3 Slim? I know the full backward compatibility promised for the first versions of the PS3 never really worked, and was abandoned in the latter versions. But I did read something about that while hardware emulation is out, *some* PS2 games would be supported by software emulation. Now I read everywhere that the PS3 Slim is "not backward compatible". But does that mean "not at all", or is backward compatibility at least partial?

An hour on Google produced hundreds of links, but none really answering my question. Bing (Microsoft's new search engine, the acronym meaning "But Its Not Google!"), which is supposed to work more like an expert system, doesn't give clear answers either. Many links I found were to forums, where people were asking exactly these questions, and then got half a dozen conflicting answers. So, does anyone of you know whether I can watch foreign DVDs and play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim?

No comments:

Post a Comment