Saturday, October 3, 2009

PSP-NoGo

Did I mention that I bought a new Sony PSP a few weeks ago? I basically upgraded my old PSP-1000 with an improved PSP-3000. The main reason I did that was to *avoid* having to buy a PSPgo at some point in the future. I completely agree with the CNN Tech review of the PSPgo in thinking that lack of backward compatibility is an extremely bad idea. And the PSPgo drives that bad idea to extremes. It isn't even a new generation of a handheld console, just a new version of the old PSP, and then it isn't compatible with the old games on UMD discs, with no way offered to move your old games to your new console if you were to buy one. If I wanted to play a game on the PSPgo that I already own on UMD, I would have to pay again for a download. How crazy is that?

Note that I already ended up not buying a PS3 because it isn't backward compatible (apparently the backward compatible early versions were only offered in the US, not in Europe, so I can't even try to get an old one). It begins to feel more and more as if Sony is out to milk their customers, deliberately wiping their game libraries so they can't play old games and buy more new games. That isn't going to win them any sympathy from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment