Sunday, August 16, 2009

Beta week

This weekend was the last Aion beta event. I would have had a last look, but in spite of updating my password and client, the game wouldn't let me in. Not really a problem, because I already decided not to play it on release.

Today the open beta for Champions Online starts. The game has been, in my opinion, unfairly maligned by several bloggers complaining that Champion's Online offer of lifetime subscription or cheap 6-month subscription was expiring before the game comes out. But as those offers expire only September 1st, everyone gets two weeks of open beta to decide whether these offers are worth it, which I find totally reasonable. I don't know yet whether I will end up playing Champions Online, but I sure will check it out this week.

Also this week begins the US open beta for Dragonica Online, a Chinese Free2Play game which is already up and running elsewhere. The interesting part of that news is that in the US this game will be run by a new company, THQ*ICE, subsidiary of veteran game developer and publisher THQ. While previously Free2Play games were dominated by small companies specialized in these sort of games, now more traditional game companies also appear to want a piece of the pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment