Friday, August 5, 2011

That hype train left without me

I understand there is some excitement in the gaming blogosphere about the upcoming release of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. They just announced a $150 collectors edition with a big plastic dragon. And people are hopeful that Skyrim will be a good role-playing game, based on their experience with Oblivion and Morrowind.

Unfortunately me personal experience with Oblivion and Morrowind was a rather bad one: I couldn't play them due to the user interface, cursor, and camera controls. The cursor was stuck to the middle of the screen, so every time you want to click on something you need to move the camera to show the item you want to click on in the center. As you click on a lot of things in a RPG, that necessitated a lot of camera movement, which in turn caused me video game nausea. I only get that with very few games, mainly those that have head bop or lots of vertical camera movement, but with the Elder Scrolls games up to now it was really bad. I don't assume they have completely changed the control scheme for Skyrim, so I'm not going to buy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment