Thursday, November 16, 2006

Travel journal - 17-November-2006

Oh the joys of air travel! My flight back home got cancelled due to bad weather. I got booked onto another flight for tomorrow, so instead of being back home on Friday afternoon, I'll only return Saturday morning.

Used the courtesy phone to find a hotel near the airport, where I could stay for the night. No problem, the Marriott hotel I called said they had a room and they would send a shuttle. The shuttle never came, so after 45 minutes I took a taxi instead. Arriving at the Marriott the receptionist told me that they were overbooked, and sent me across the street to a Courtyard Marriott. So finally I got a room.

In spite of these problems I usually like to stay in Marriotts, because they have free high-speed internet access in every room. Just that in this room there was no ethernet cable. I go back to the front desk, where the receptionist was chatting with the cleaning lady. I ask for an ethernet cable, and the cleaning lady has one in the pocket of her apron. Wow, I'm impressed. I'm not sure a cleaning lady in an European hotel would even know what an ethernet cable is, much less have a spare one in her pocket.

So I'm all set up for another night in the USA. Fortunately I'm a pessimist (or in this case realist) regarding travel, and alway pack an extra set of underwear. You never know when you might need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment