Thursday, November 30, 2006

World of Warcraft trading card game

After 10 years of Magic the Gathering (paper and online) and 2 years of World of Warcraft you would assume that I'd buy the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game as a matter of reflex. But in fact I am not interested at all. For the simple reason that I wouldn't know who to play with.

So if you are waiting for a review of the WoW TCG from me. You're out of luck. I only read a description of the game in Beckett Massive Online Gamer magazine, which also lists all cards. But the game seems to be a lot simpler and more primitive than Magic the Gathering, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Nevertheless the whole exercise smells of somebody trying to revive the flagging trading card business with a license from a highly successful video game.

But in my area people aren't even playing Magic any more. And all the other trading card games had tiny followings at the best of times. What good is a trading card game if you have neither somebody to trade nor somebody to play with? The next time I play Magic will be when Magic the Gathering Online v3.0 will finally be released, after years of delay. Online games are the future, because there is always somebody online somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment