Wednesday, May 23, 2007

American adventures

My trip to the USA this time isn't going well. I managed to eat something which gave me a nasty stomach bug, and I was flat on my back for two days. That also gave me the opportunity to experience the American health care system first hand, which was interesting. A lot more paperwork than in Europe, and much, much more expensive. Seeing a doctor for like 5 minutes and having him prescribe me something cost me $117, which is 3 to 5 times as much as the same visit would cost in Europe. Not counting the UK, where that visit would have been free.

I'm back on my feet again, but can't follow all my reader's friendly advice on what to eat over here. I need to stick to bland food and isotonic drinks. Most of which don't taste very well. If you make lemonade by squashing lemons, then how is Gatorade made?

No comments:

Post a Comment