Wednesday, October 10, 2007

PS3 downgraded

I own a PS2 and a Gamecube. When the "next generation" consoles came out, I didn't see the need to buy any one of them, neither PS3, Wii, nor XBox 360, mostly because the games on offer weren't all that interesting to me. I had the opportunity recently to play a bit with a Wii, with its very interesting control system, but the fun grew old quite fast. The XBox 360 never interested me. But I had planned to one day buy a downward compatible PS3 to replace my old PS2.

Those plans have been rudely killed by Sony removing downward compatibility and several other features from the PS3 this month. They are bringing out a new, cheaper PS3, with a smaller hard drive and several features removed. Apparently it dawned upon them that they were losing out on sales due to being the most expensive next generation console. Now I could rush and still try to get an old PS3, but I won't, because I can't even be sure that future hardware additions or software will be compatible with the original PS3. And it is a bit too expensive for my taste anyway. I'm not interested in buying a new PS3 either, as it is lacking not only PS2 compatibility, but also isn't WiFi enabled any more. Internet connectivity was supposed to be one of the strong points of the PS3, and my router is too far from my TV to make connection with a cable viable.

And while the list of PS2 games had lots of RPG and strategy games, nearly all PS3 games are action oriented. I'm getting too old for twitchy games, and I don't enjoy them as much. So I guess I'll just keep my PS2, or even buy a new one if the old one ever breaks down. No next generation console for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment