Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Station Access

I'm thinking about whether I should get a SOE Station Access subscription next year. I am already paying for an EQ2 subscription, and I will buy Pirates of the Burning Sea, which would be a second SOE subscription once the free month runs out. The Station Access would be the same price as two game subscriptions, and would allow me to access all the other SOE games as well. I could have a trip down memory lane to the original Everquest, I could see how SWG plays now post-NGE, or I could even see if Vanguard improved since release. I would even get some stuff for the "collectible" SOE games, like Star Chamber.

But of course there are also good reasons not to pay for a Station Access. There has been lots of controversy (link leads to MMOG Nation, which then links to everybody else) on the price increase of the Station Access to $30 earlier this year. I would need to play more than two SOE games to profit. Half a year of Station Access costs as much as a LotRO lifetime subscription. Do I really want to play a bunch of outdated old games like EQ or SWG?

In the end it all comes down to the question of how many MMORPGs you can play at the same time. I have a lifetime subscription to LotRO, a regular subscription to EQ2, and I'm in 3 different betas (actually 4, but I didn't even download the new client for the 4th yet). But in the last month I basically only played one of those betas, with which I have a love/hate relationship. It draws me in every night because of the extraordinary gameplay, leaves me unsatisfied because of the lack of polish, and then I can't even rant about it on my blog due to the NDA. When I get fed up or the server is down, I play a bit of EQ2, but I'm still only level 18 there. I might be better off with just one single subscription plus the LotRO lifetime fallback option.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment