Friday, May 21, 2010

Perfect MMORPG: Stats

As you might have glimpsed from my first "Perfect MMORPG" post yesterday, the basic motto of this hypothetic MMORPG which would be perfect for me is an old Sid Meier quote: "A good game is a series of interesting decisions". (I never found a source for that quote, although on the GDC 2010 Sid mentioned having coined the phrase "interesting decisions".)

In another post this week I asked for which enchant to put on the boots of a holy paladin. I was really interested in the answer, albeit more the "why" than the "what", but I also had an ulterior motive: Being well aware that the choice would only make a tiny difference, I also wanted to see how sure people were of the right answer, how authorative it was, or whether anyone would say "well, it's your choice".

Which brings me to the stats of my hypothetical perfect MMORPG: I believe in a perfect MMORPG there should be a lot of valid choices for what stats to choose. That is to say the stats should be designed in a way that there are very few completely useless stats for any class, and several "best" stats, which are all completely valid choices, depending on playstyle. Thus instead of having a simple formula telling you that for your class strength is better than agility, the two should be equivalent, and both be useful in different situations, so you could make an interesting decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment