Saturday, May 6, 2006

A guild experiment

My guild in World of Warcraft, on the Runetotem Euro server, is embarking on an interesting experiment. Previously we tried to be everything to all people, and that didn't work very well. The raiders wanted stricter rules for recruitment, raid attendance, and DKP points for better raiding progress, the casual players didn't want to be forced to anything. So now we split the guild, amicably, into two closely related sister guilds, one for raiding, one for everything else.

As I obviously didn't want to raid several times a week, and most officers moved to the raiding half, Order of the Blood Croix, I ended up being the guild master of the non-raiding half, Order of the Rose Croix. I've been GM before, in DAoC, until the guild drama got too stressful for me. But I hope that this time it will be better, as I am heading the less ambitious half. It is often ambitions you can't realize that lead to frustration, and it should be easier to realize the ambitions of a guild that wants to be casual.

Not everybody was happy over the split, and we lost some people over it. But I think it was the "least bad" option we had. We were constantly losing people to other raiding guilds before, because with our previous "casual raiding" approach we didn't make enough progress. Now the raiding part of the guild can implement whatever rules it takes to make raiding a bigger success.

No comments:

Post a Comment