Thursday, May 4, 2006

WoW Journal - 4-May-2006

I did several steps of what I think is WoW's longest quest series with Raslebol last night. The series has 20 quests, and starts with the Fallen Hero of the Horde at the entrance of the Blasted Lands. I had done the first steps in the Blasted Lands previously, and now did the steps that play in Azshara. That was fun, because Azshara doesn't have all that many quests, and thus I only visit the place for gathering herbs otherwise. With quests now paying out gold instead of xp at level 60, this high-level quest series now pays out serious cash, I got up to 8 gold for a single quest step.

The downside is that I'm now stuck at steps 19 and 20, which require a good level 60 group. Obviously not many people did an extremely long quest series in a nearly forgotten corner of the world, and it will be hard to get a group together to finish the series. The reward is two green items and a 16-slot bag, which is insufficient to tempt many level 60 people.

Quest series are often a bit annoying in World of Warcraft. Often the level of the quests in the series goes up much faster than you level while doing it. If you start the quest series when you are low in level, you can't do the latter parts immediately, and get them parked for a long time in your quest journal. By the time you can do the end, you have forgotten what the story was about. If you only start the series when you are high enough to finish it, the early steps are trivial and not interesting.

The same thing is just happening to my dwarven pally in the Wetlands. He started a quest series which starts with a level 26 quest to attack some orcs, but ends with a level 32 elite quest for the orc chieftain. At level 29 I couldn't finish it last night, as I didn't find anyone else to help me, and couldn't solo a 32 elite with bodyguards. So I did some other quests in the wetlands and leveled to 30.

As my pally is engineer now, at level 30 he was able to choose between goblin and gnome engineering. So as my shammy is already gnome engineer, and my pally needs more firepower, I chose goblin engineering with him. A level 30 pally loaded with all sorts of goblin explosives is awesome. There is a goblin sapper charge which does up to 750 damage to all mobs around you, but normally also deals damage to yourself. But a pally can turn on his "bubble" that protects him from all damage and still use that sapper charge. One such sapper charge plus one goblin land mine can wipe out a complete group of level 30 mobs. Evil! Of course the method has a lot of cooldown, and costs a lot of money, but now I might be able to solo that level 32 elite, by simply blowing him and his bodyguards up.

No comments:

Post a Comment