Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hackers

This is funny, somebody is trying to hack me. Or rather he is trying to get access to my Google / Blogger account by pretending to be me having forgotten my password. Of course Google isn't THAT stupid, in such cases it just sends an e-mail to my home e-mail address, alerting me of the attempt. The hacker would need to click on the link in that e-mail to reset the password. And even then he would still need to answer some security questions to change the password. I know, because I just did change the password, just to make sure.

I do prefer login systems like World of Warcraft, where you don't have to use your display name as account name. On GMail or on typical PHP forums your username is your display name, so in that cases I'm kind of forced to use "Tobold" to appear as me. But then a hacker only needs to guess / hack the second word, the password, to get access to my stuff. So I need to use different passwords everywhere, and change them from time to time, noting them on a list next to my computer. I guess the easiest way to hack me would be breaking into my house and stealing the list. :) Other than that, I'm reasonably safe, with firewalls and anti-virus protecting me from keyloggers and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment