Monday, August 21, 2006

Priest build

My level 60 Horde priest is spec'd like this, and I'll probably change to the same build for my Alliance priest when he gets to level 60. This build has 21 points in discipline, giving me access to Divine Spirit, a very useful buff. And it has 30 points in holy, giving me Spiritual Guidance (which turns the spirit into healing power) and Spiritual Healing, which adds a big 10% bonus to healing. I'm not pretending that this is the ideal build, it is just something that I am happy with, but feel free to comment.

In an earlier build I had more points in holy, going up to the 31-point talent of Lightwell. Unfortunately I found that Lightwell wasn't quite as useful as I thought. The amount of healing per mana of Lightwell is awesome, but getting people to use it intelligently was hard. In spite of repeated explanations there always was somebody in the raid who while on full health was thinking "oh, shiny!" and clicked on the Lightwell, wasting a charge. The cooldown meant I couldn't use the Lightwell in every combat. And even in the best case the Lightwell is only good to heal people that are wounded, but not getting hit any more, because getting hit breaks the heal over time effect.

I was similarly disappointed with the talent just under Lightwell, which transforms you into an angel when you die, and gives you 10 seconds of free healing after death. Unfortunately you lose your target when dieing, and the transformation takes a bit of time too. So by the time I was an angel and had my target back, the timer often was down to 6 seconds, and I couldn't get more than 2 greater heals fired off.

I'm happy with the spirit buff I now have instead of the holy top talents. But of course the usefulness depends a bit on how many other priests in your guild have the spirit buff. Having at least two spirit buffers in a raid is useful, much more isn't.

The greatest weakness of this priest build is that it is totally specialized on healing and maximizing mana. There isn't a single talent in there that would help me deal more damage when soloing. That does work well for my Horde priest, because I have a level 60 warrior on the same server for farming if needed. But I might be forced to respec when the expansion comes out, because I will probably do quite a bit of soloing from 60 to 70, and I don't think this build is viable for soloing. Especially given the fact that the epic gear I'm running around with is also giving lots of bonuses to healing, and doesn't do much for my soloing capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment