Monday, August 7, 2006

Scaleable fonts

I just got Titan Quest and installed it. In full confidence in my GeForce 7800 GTX I selected a resolution of 1600 x 1200 with all graphics settings on high, and anti-aliasing on. Started the game, and it *does* look beautiful. Until I walked the 5 steps to the first quest giver and clicked on him to see his quest. Then I noticed that the font in Titan Quest doesn't scale with the resolution, and at 1600 x 1200 on a 19" screen the font is too tiny to read. So I had to reduce the resolution to 1280x1024 for a compromise between graphical beauty and font readability.

That is an annoying design flaw. Other games, like WoW, long since have scaleable fonts, so everything remains the same size even if you crank up the resolution. What is the use of a game supporting high resolutions in which the game becomes unplayable because the user interface has shrunk so much? Scaling the font should be a relatively easy to introduce feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment