Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sitemeter crashes Internet Explorer

Several readers reported that when they tried to open my site, they got a "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://tobolds.blogspot.com/" error message. I then found that I had the same problem, but only with Internet Explorer, not with Firefox. And on visiting a few other sites with the same problem, and doing a Google search, I found that the culprit is Sitemeter. I can't access the Sitemeter site with Internet Explorer, and even just the little script on many blogs that counts the visitors and page views makes all of these sites inaccessible with Internet Explorer.

Needless to say I removed the Sitemeter script, and now my site can be accessed with all browsers again with no problem. Anyone know another visitor counter utility, which doesn't start at zero, but where I can enter the 1.86 million visitors I had up to now as a starting value?

No comments:

Post a Comment