Monday, January 11, 2010

Star Trek Online NDA

I have a half-written beta review for Star Trek Online on my hard disk, but have trouble finding out whether I'm already allowed to post it, or if not, when I will be. Don't Fear the Mutant has his impressions already published, and says Cryptic "were kind enough to not have a NDA for the press", but I can't find a confirmation for that statement. There were certainly exemptions made from the NDA for sites like IGN, but I assumed they were given only to specific sites in written form. Because if everyone who considers himself press goes on to write about a beta under NDA, what would be the point of an NDA in the first place?

I do have a "contact", that is to say an employee of a marketing company working for Atari / Cryptic sending me stuff like press releases and screenshots for Star Trek Online. I don't publish those, this is not what this blog is about, and as the same press releases and screenshots are sent to Massively, you can find them there anyway. So I wrote that contact to ask about the NDA, and got no reply at all. Well, I'm guessing bloggers like me aren't very high on the list of priorities of these companies, and there is only some junior employee charged with sending out standard stuff to us. So I decided not to assume anything, and wait for either written confirmation that the NDA doesn't apply to me, or the NDA being dropped for everybody. Don't know when that will be, but given that the "closed" beta is already open to Fileplanet subscribers, and the release date is next month, it can't be long now.

No comments:

Post a Comment