Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tell me what you think about EVE skills

I was browsing my newsreader and stumbled upon this blog post from the Nomadic Gamer. I'll quote the main part of her post here:
My 2nd account has been training Hull Upgrades V for the last 12 days and today I finally have a smidgen of free time in the Queue. Once this skill is completed it’s back to training for the Dominix which should take seven days. I’m excited about flying this ship, as my second account has been doing nothing but training for the last few months and hauling for my main account. My main account also has free time in her queue this morning, after finishing up Gallentean Starship Engineering IV which will allow me to work with a L4 R&D agent (for those specific cores at least) as well as granting me a much higher amount of RP a day. I should be able to purchase an entire core a day, which really pleases me. Another day or two and I’ll be able to purchase enough for another hulk blueprint attempt. I’ve been putting off finishing up training for the hulk because it’s a 23d training skill and that seems like such an incredibly long time to go without seeing the message that makes me so happy. I keep reminding myself that I’m in this for the long haul, and that flying the hulk instead of the retriever will be well worth it. Some how, that hasn’t been enough to convince me to put Mining Barge V into the queue. Maybe today will be the day.
When reading this, two thoughts shot through my head. One was that hey, I already understand enough of EVE and terms used to discuss it to completely understand the meaning of this paragraph. The other thought was that while intellectually understanding what she says, concepts like "my second account has been doing nothing but training for the last few months" or learning a skill for 23 days of waiting feel still extremely foreign and weird to me.

I had the impression that it was mostly EVE players who commented on my previous EVE posts. But what I would like is to launch a discussion between people who play EVE and those who don't about what you all think about the quoted paragraph describing a typical player's interaction with the EVE skill queue. Am I the only one who thinks it is weird to have a second account on which you *don't* play for several months and just train skills? Or would you say I got infected by the attention deficit disorder culture of instant gratification, and EVE is the more Zen way to play MMORPGs? Whether you play EVE or not, I would like to hear what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment