Friday, February 10, 2012

Single-player games this week

I didn't buy Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning this week, although I might be tempted to buy it when it turns up at half price in a Steam sale. I played the demo, and didn't like the user-interface that was made for consoles. And while I could see some positive qualities, KoAR is no Skyrim. Metacritic gives it 10 points less on average for the different versions, which is a notable difference.

Instead I went and bought Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. The "real-time, but stop the game at any time you want to give orders" compromise between turn-based and real-time games is one I can live with. In absolute terms Jagged Alliance is probably a worse game than KoAR, but roleplaying games are a dime a dozen these days, while strategy / tactical games that aren't purely real-time are extremely rare. Until Firaxis releases their XCOM remake, I don't really have all that many options. But maybe the tide will turn: Two companies releasing XCOM games, and two Jagged Alliance remakes in 2012 is a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment