Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The last sedan?

A month ago I ordered a new car, which I'll get in about 2 months. First time in my life I buy a "new" car, so for the first time I could really choose things like color and form. The car I'm buying is a Toyota Corolla sedan, which will look like this:Just that mine will be in electric blue, as the silver look is a bit too boring for me. :)

So with a newly acquired awareness for cars I looked around me in the last month, and found that there aren't all that many sedan style cars left in Europe. Basically only the high end cars like Audi, BMW or Mercedes still have mainly sedan models. Everybody else is driving hatchbacks. The middle class cars like the Toyota Corolla are available in both shapes, the hatchback looking like this:With the hatchback model definitely being more popular. But I didn't even make a conscious decision about this, I just went for the sedan by instinct. For me "a car" has sedan shape, with a trunk clearly separated from the passenger cabin. If the trunk is just an extension of the passenger cabin, and when you open the trunk you actually swivel the whole back side of the car, including the window, it feels more like a utility vehicle to me.

I guess that makes me old-fashioned. Or I'm too much influenced by American culture, where nearly all the cars are sedan shaped, and hatchbacks are rare, unless you count SUVs as hatchbacks. It seems obvious that at equal car lenght, the hatchback has more space in the back than the sedan, which explains it's attraction to Europeans. Europeans don't buy SUVs, because we pay $7 per gallon for petrol over here, which makes buying a gas guzzler a really bad idea.

I just wonder if there is any reason, besides aesthetics, to buy a sedan. I still hope to find a web site explaining how sedans are more aerodynamic and thus use less fuel. :) Or something like that.

Until then I'll just have the memory of a Lada advertisement for comfort, for which I was unable to find a photo on the web. It just showed three bricks, one flat on top of the other two so it had the basic shape of a sedan, with a slogan saying: "Lada. There are shapes you can't improve upon."

No comments:

Post a Comment