Thursday, February 2, 2006

WoW keys

Yesterday I finished the quest for the Seal of Ascension, the key to UBRS. I've been on that quest for a long time, because it requires you to find an amulet and three different gems in LBRS, and on several runs I didn't find a single gem. Once you got all parts and talked to the quest giver again, you need a group for subdueing a level 61 elite dragonkin in Duskwallow Marsh. Fun quest, you need to mind control the dragonkin when he is low in hitpoints, then use his dragon breath on the unforged seal to forge it. Go back to the quest giver again, and you get the key, which not only opens the door to UBRS, but doubles as ring giving +10 to several resistances.

So far, so good. Having certain dungeons locked and requiring a quest for the key is not a bad idea. WoW has a lot of them. For some places everybody in the group needs to have the key, for other areas only one guy needs to be able to open the door. The only problem I have with that is one of inventory space.

You see, keys are usually gained by quests, and quest are usually not repeatable. If I would throw away the UBRS key, I wouldn't be able to get another one, as I couldn't start the quest chain again. So I need to keep all my keys. And with time they accumulate, if you count all the key items as well, like the mallet for Zul'Farrak, or the sceptre for Maraudon. All these keys and key items are of course soulbound, so I can't send them to an alt, I need to keep them in my inventory or bank. And my space in inventory and bank is running out.

Buying all the bank bag slots, and getting 16-slot bags for all inventory and bank bag slots cost me over 300 gold, and I still don't have enough room. I need space for all my alchemy ingredients, for armor and weapons, for the different trinkets and magic items, and for those keys. Usually the seasonal events from Blizzard also give you nice but useless stuff, taking up further inventory slots. And there is no way to increase the number of total inventory spaces, unless I want to spend the rest of my days in Zul'Gurub looking for rare 18-slot bags.

What I would need is Blizzard labeling all keys and similar key items with a new label "key", and creating an additional "key ring" inventory. That key ring should *not* take up one of the old bag slots, like they did for quivers and soul bags, which is a serious disadvantage to playing a hunter or warlock.

What use is it to Blizzard to create new items with every patch, when the players simply don't have space to keep the stuff? I already had to throw away things like the Link and Zelda photo, because I just couldn't justify hanging on to them. And I'm already running one character as vault, mailing him everything that isn't soulbound and which I want to hang on to for a longer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment