Friday, April 28, 2006

Paris holiday

I just came back from a small holiday in Paris. We stayed in a hotel south of the Seine, in the Quartier Latin, which was a good location. Close to the Sorbonne the area is very lively, and has lots of small shops and restaurants. It is also close enough to the Louvre and Notre Dame to visit on foot.

The hotel room was small, not large enough to swing a dead cat, but as I hadn't packed a dead cat in my luggage, that was okay. Hotel rooms in Paris are generally small and expensive, and the restaurants weren't exactly cheap either. But we had a good time, visiting the city and a couple of museums. The Louvre was a bit disappointing, you could barely see the paintings through the huge crowds of tourists. The Guimet Museum of Asian Art was very nice, and had an excellent exhibition of chinese imperial paintings, depicting one hunting trip of some emperor over 4 rolls of 16 meter length, very impressive.

I didn't take any electronic devices on the holiday, so it was a holiday from World of Warcraft and blogging as well. But now I'm back for a long weekend of playing, as Monday is a public holiday over here. I never understood why "labour day" is a holiday instead of a work day, but I'll take it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment