Saturday, April 29, 2006

WoW Journal - 30-April-2006

I did my first real Onyxia raid this weekend, previously I had just snuck in once and looked around. We had 35 people, and if I understood it correctly, some of them had been there before, but never successfully. This time was no different: In 3 hours we wiped 5 times, usually getting Onyxia to something like 35%. We had the first phase under control, finishing it with full mana and rage. The second phase was more problematic, we usually lost a couple of people to one or two Deep Breath attacks which we couldn't totally avoid. And in the third phase we just died. Over and over.

Doing it one evening long was fun. But I don't see the point of doing it again and again, even if obviously one day you are going to succeed and get some purple items. It is a bit like a ballet, you practice enough until all the movements are perfect, but even then you're just a bunch of guys in pantyhoses hopping around on a stage. There is no deeper point to it, you don't learn to play your class better, you just learn to kill Onyxia. You earn a few epics per week, but divided by the number of raiders that isn't very much.

I think I have a different view of "achievement" in MMORPG than the people who love raiding. Not even getting some epic loot this weekend changed my mind about that. It was a lot of effort for a very small improvement to my power. For me character advancement is only meaningful in as far as it allows me to go places where I couldn't go before. And leveling a second or third character to 60 opens up a lot more new content to me than spending my time raiding with the old characters. I can see how it would be nice after several wipes to beat Onyxia, but that is not something I wish to spend the majority of my time on.

No comments:

Post a Comment