Friday, January 4, 2008

Do you use WoW voice chat?

A reader asked me on my experiences with the integrated voice chat of World of Warcraft. I didn't have any. I haven't used any voice chat since TBC came out. I found voice chat very helpful when raiding at level 60, but only if the raid group has somebody willing to take over the job of "drill sergeant", barking orders at the other players. In the natural chaos of a 40-man raid, even simple commands like "start dps" or "stop dps" can improve the raid a lot. I would assume barking commands to be less useful in 10-man raids, but I don't have enough TBC raiding experience to be sure.

Before TBC I used both Teamspeak and Ventrilo for voice chat. In the TBC European beta, which mixed people from the English, German, and French servers on the same beta server, I found that most of the Germans used voice chat, even in pickup groups. I don't know if that is due to some cultural difference, or due to the fact that the "English" servers are in fact the server for everybody who isn't German, French, or Spanish, and thus has the widest mix of nationalities and languages. I've never been asked to join voice chat in a pickup group on a European "English" server. And as my current guild isn't using voice chat either, as far as I know, I never had the opportunity to check the newly integrated WoW voice chat out.

So I'd be interested to hear from you what your voice chat experiences are. Do you use the integrated WoW voice chat, or do you use a third party software like Teamspeak or Ventrilo? Do you use voice chat for small groups, or only for raids? How useful is voice chat in the TBC raid environment?

No comments:

Post a Comment