Tuesday, January 1, 2008

European preorder of Pirates of the Burning Sea

Pirates of the Burning Sea is still expected to come out on January 22. But players who buy the preorder box get access 15 days early, which is January 7, aka next Monday. And I haven't seen a PotBS preorder box in any of the shop I visited, apparently the European distribution isn't that top notch. So yesterday I ended up buying a preorder virtual "box" from DLGamer for 10 Euro (which also gives me a 10 Euro coupon when buying the game there).

Only problem is that the download is by BitTorrent. As I am very much legit and against piracy of music, videos, and warez games, I didn't even have BitTorrent software installed. Fortunately DLGamer provides you with a link to a freeware BitTorrent client. Started the download, went to bed, and woke up to find my computer crashed after 0.6% of the download was completed. Grrrr! So I restarted the download this morning and hope it is completed by tonight.

I can understand why Blizzard is distributing their patches by the peer to peer way: there are enough World of Warcraft players on the internet at any given time, and Blizzard is providing the P2P client in the background of the WoW Launcher. I'm not so sure that P2P is the best way to distribute smaller games. How many people are downloading PotBS from DLGamer? Can't be more than a handful. I would have preferred a direct download from them to being forced to install fishy BitTorrent software.

No comments:

Post a Comment