Thursday, December 4, 2008

Replacing epics with quest greens

You know the old stereotype that a new expansion makes you replace the epics you worked so hard for with green quest rewards. Only I found that this isn't true at all in Wrath of the Lich King. I'm not wearing a single green quest item; in fact in spite of being a priest I now got into the habit of always choosing the quest reward that is either a weapon or plate armor, because I sell them anyway, and weapons and plate sell for more cash.

That isn't to say I'm still wearing my level 70 epics. There are only one or two left, the rest is replaced by blue gear from dungeons. I replaced my first epics with blue quest rewards I received from quests which required me to kill bosses in Utgarde Keep. The only quest rewards that are worth wearing are those you get for group / dungeon quests, usually at the end of a quest chain.

One other thing I noticed is that *if* you wouldn't do dungeons, but rely on quests for your gear, you'd be better off as a cloth wearer than as a plate wearer. There is usually one item of each on offer, but every cloth wearer can nowadays pretty much use every cloth item. They all give the same sort of spellpower, and while stats like haste rating, hit rating, crit rating, intelligenc, stamina, or spirit, are somewhat different in usefulness for the various cloth wearing classes, they are never completely useless. Not so for plate: As protection warrior a piece of plate armor with intelligence and spellpower bonus is completely useless. And I'd guess a retribution paladin or death knight wouldn't be too happy with a piece of plate armor that increases defense rating and shield block value.

So, what kind of gear are you wearing while leveling up through Wrath of the Lich King? Or are you already in full Naxxramas epic gear again? How about the various pieces of gear you can get from crafting, or buy with various tokens, PvE or PvP?

No comments:

Post a Comment