Friday, March 13, 2009

Good news for underachievers

I'm an underachiever. That is to say I have considerably less achievement points collected on my characters in WoW than the average member of my guild. I collected exactly 1 title for each of my 3 characters over level 70, "the explorer" for the priest, "chef" for the warrior, and "Jenkins" for the mage. I got some achievements from simply playing. That included some achievements from holiday events, but I didn't complete a singe holiday overall achievement. So as I'm not actually chasing achievements, my achievement point score is rather low.

Now that used to worry me a bit, because I, as many other people, thought that at some point Blizzard would introduce a way to spend the achievement points, and by not having many I would miss out on some cool rewards. Turns out I don't need to worry. Blizzard has no intention of letting us buy anything with achievement points. They are pure fluff, only useful to compare progress between players. Great, now I can really ignore them.

That is not to say that the achievement system isn't a good idea. I know a lot of people who have a lot of fun chasing achievements, and that is fine. It is just that personally I score low in the achievement category in a Bartle test. I do like challenges, but not every type of challenge. I'm so not grinding thousands of grey low-level quests for hundreds of hours to get a tabard and a title, or doing similar repetitive stuff. Having to spend a lot of time on something trivially easy isn't something I consider a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment