Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Seeing the light

I would like to thank all of you who participated in the recent discussions about WoW raiding, which I personally found very interesting and even enlightening. We might never really agree on what a game like WoW is or should be about, but at least I understand the hardcore point of view a bit better now: It appears that the thrill for some players lies in the execution.

That explains the paradox I mentioned in various forms over the last week, that I couldn't understand why people at the same time were complaining that WoW was too easy, while simultaneously making the game even easier by using all sorts of addons and optimized strategies and theorycrafting. Thing is we are talking about different areas of "hard" and "easy" here. The "hard" I like is if there is some unknown element of surprise, and I have to figure out how things work, and what I have to do. But apparently other people prefer a situation in which there are no unknowns, and the "hard" is all about executing well-known moves with the right timing approaching perfection. Not my personal preference, but I totally get the concept, and of course it is equally valid. It boils down to whether you see WoW as a strategy / tactical game, or whether you see it as an action video game.

I just hope you can also understand my point of view, without having to want to play WoW like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment