Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cyanide

I do get several "press releases" from smaller game companies every week. I do usually take the time to have a look at their product, but only actually write a blog entry when the product is interesting. So when Cyanide Studios wrote me that they had acquired the rights turn George R.R Martin’s ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ into games, it didn't look good for them. I had never heard of Cyanide, I hadn't read those books (although research told me they were popular), and the press release didn't even say what kind of game they were hoping to make from it.

But interest peaked up when I visited Cyanide's website. Because besides that press release, there are also two other games: Blood Bowl, to be released June 18th, and Dungeon Party, which was released yesterday. I did play Blood Bowl the board game 20 years ago, and Cyanide's version of it looks quite interesting to me, as it can be played either in real time or turn based. Dungeon Party is a Free2Play group vs. group PvP game. I tried it out, it's kind of fun, but you know me and PvP don't really go together.

Cyanide is a French studio, which explains some of the "funny" names of monsters in Dungeon Party, which you'll only understand if you speak French. It also helps to know how the layout of a French keyboard looks, because on an English keyboard you'll need to press Q and D to turn, while the screen text says A and D.

Anyway, I did like the quality of the games I saw there, and now I'm looking forward to Blood Bowl's release. Not holding my breath for that ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ game though, until I know more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment