Monday, May 11, 2009

The slavery of WoW

I wouldn't say that any of the games I'm currently playing is strictly better than World of Warcraft. But I very much enjoy the freedom of coming home and thinking "now what shall we play next?". Previously the question didn't pose itself, as the answer was always WoW. But now I'm playing several different games, sometimes two or three in an evening.

With World of Warcraft I had always something planned for the evening. There were several raid nights a week. And even on the other days I felt I just had to check the auction house, do my jewelcrafting, cooking, and fishing daily quests, and this or that other activity. In hindsight that looks more like a job than a game, doing the same series of tasks every day.

How many people plan their real life activities so they don't collide with raid nights or other game events? On the one side it is great that a game can fascinate us so much that we are willingly submitting ourselves into slavery, but on the other hand I do feel more free now that I have a choice to make between different games.

No comments:

Post a Comment