Friday, May 1, 2009

Time to take a break from World of Warcraft

I thought I would still be interested at least in raiding in WoW, but it turned out I was wrong. I took part in a great Ulduar raid last night, killing the first five bosses after just one or a few attempts. But my heart just wasn't in it, and I caught myself looking at my watch hoping this would be over soon. There really is no use playing like that. I'm burned out, and it's time to take a break from WoW, for several months at least.

So I cancelled my WoW account for the next subscription period, which means I could still play a month, but probably won't do much except cleaning up, and selling some stuff before deflation makes it completely worthless. Blizzard gave me the third degree and wouldn't let me go without me explaining why. But of course the issue is highly complex, and can't really be answered with dropdown menus. So I told them I was leaving for Free Realms (had to use "other games" and type the name, as it isn't on their premade list of competitors yet), which while not being the whole truth is at least a part of it. There was no dropdown point to complain how raiding had turned into Super Mario Brothers, being more gimmicky and about fast buttonmashing, and less tactical and about making decisions, otherwise I could have used that as an partial answer.

But to make one thing crystal clear, I do not blame World of Warcraft, which I still think is the best MMORPG out there for me. I don't blame my guild or anyone else either. I don't even blame myself. Burnout is just a natural phenomenon which is completely normal after having played the same game for thousands of hours. At some point you just lose interest. I'm not playing Free Realms because it is "better than" WoW, I play it because it is different. I'll also play more single-player games, I still have a shelf full of unplayed games here.

I fully expect to resubscribe to World of Warcraft after a break of at least several months. Probably before the next expansion, but right now I have no idea when exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment