Thursday, December 7, 2006

WoW Journal - 8-December-2006

I hadn't played World of Warcraft all week, but of course I had to log on after the patch and see how it was going. On patch day I was online 5 minutes, then logged out to fix my addons. Bad mistake, because the logon server never let me back in, and later when the logon server was up, the server with my main characters was down. And I still don't have my addons back, because all the addon sites are down due to being overloaded. So right now I have only the Extended Quest List and Mobinfo2 addons, which I had downloaded before for the BC beta, and CTRaidAssist 1.6, from the CTMod site, which was up in a low-bandwith version. I would have loved to have Gatherer back, but the developers of that one decided to postpone release for two weeks. And I couldn't get Telo's Infobar nor Theorycraft in a 2.0 compatible version anywhere.

The day after the patch at least the servers were back up, although a bit laggy. So I joined my guild on a special event, killing Prince Thunderaan and getting Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker for our main tank. That is a nice 53.9 dps one-handed sword which is legendary (orange) and has some good stats. We were over 40 people to participate in taking Prince Thunderaan down, which made it nearly too easy. Besides the two legendary drops, you need 10 fiery cores from MC, 10 elementium ores from BWL, and 100 arcanite bars. That is between 3,000 and 4,000 gold worth of materials. I'm happy for the guy for having a dream come true, but personally I wouldn't have spent that much on a sword which is going to be replaced in two months. There are a lot of much better swords in the Burning Crusade, even before level 70. Okay, *I* spent all my gold on materials for jewelcrafting, which is probably going to be a flop, so I shouldn't say anything. In the end it is all about realizing your game goals, however silly they are.

I am thinking about getting a new sword for my warrior as well, by doing PvP. For 20 Arathi Basin victory marks and 22,500 honor points you can get very nice "High Warlord" one-hand weapons. The only problem is getting into a battleground. Yesterday the battlegrounds were crashing due to overload all the time, and some guildmate got a character stuck in a crashed battleground and couldn't get back into the game except with alts. Of course the "BC has better swords" argument is equally valid here, but PvP is something I haven't done very much in World of Warcraft yet, and could be a good way to spend my time waiting for the expansion. The sword would just be an added bonus.

My warrior originally leveled up with a protection spec, being a tank. That was useful for 5-man groups, but not so good for soloing, and really bad for PvP. And with the guild having enough tanks, I couldn't raid with them either. So I tried to switch to a fury build, but didn't like it much. So with the free respec from the patch I now went for a 41/10/0 arms build, going for mortal strike and the top talent in the arms tree. I should probably wield a 2-handed weapon in this case, but I'm still dual-wielding. I'll see how that works out.

Of course I also had to spend the talent points for my priest again, the patch having reset them. I put 23 points in discipline, just enough to get improved divine spirit. The remaining 28 points I put in holy, getting me up to spiritual guidance. These talents together give a nice boost to both my healing and my damage spells. I think with this sort of build I can level up my priest, both solo and in groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment