Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Dell delivery delay

Besides giving opportunity for a lovely alliteration in the post title, the news from Dell is bad: Instead of sending me the laptop I ordered after 10 business days, they can't do it any earlier than 30 business days. That is 6 weeks, dammit. I won't have the new laptop before my next business trip to the USA, and I was looking forward to that "test run" of it.

Dell said they were missing some parts. No wonder they are currently losing market share, their supply chain management was their unique selling point. There are enough companies selling you either standard computers right now, or custom built computers in 6 weeks. Dell was offering custom built computers in barely more than the time it takes to ship them, I had one Dell computer delivered only 1 week after I ordered it. If they can't do that any more, they are a lot less interesting.

On the positive side, while I *would like* to have the laptop right now, I don't absolutely *need* it for a specific date. Would be a lot more problematic for people ordering a Dell computer end of November as a christmas present, and being told they'll only get it in January. Putting a printout of the order form under the tree isn't quite the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment