Thursday, October 5, 2006

WoW Journal - 5-October-2006

Yesterday I logged on around 6 in the evening, and had 2 hours to kill before our raid to AQ20 started. So I started to do the usual repairing, restocking, cleaning up my inventory routine. And it struck me that in my bank I have two bags full of enchanting dusts, essences, and shards, plus part of another bag taken up by the rods you need for enchanting. But the number of times I was enchanting anything in the last 6 months I could count using no more than my fingers. Enchanting is not a terribly useful skill once you are 60, because your gear isn't changing very often. And you can't use it for twinking much either, because it only works if you buy or find bind on equip items. The usually much better bind on pickup items on your alts you can't enchant, because you can't have both characters online at the same time.

Then I considered what I know about jewelcrafting, and it seemed to me that jewelcrafting would be more useful than enchanting in respect to alts. And of course it is new and shiny, and already more interesting for being new. So I ditched enchanting, put all my dusts and stuff on the auction house, and learned mining instead. The idea is to level up mining, while hoarding the different ores and gems I find in the process. Thus the day I get the expansion running, I have the materials to actually do something. As far as I know, you need the raw ores to extract gems, you also need the ores to make metal for the jewelry, and you also need the standard gems. I'm not sure what else I should already collect, I've heard rumors of the elemental essences being needed as well for some jewelcrafting. Anyway, I spent the time before the raid happily riding through Durotar and mining copper. Funny if you do it with a level 60 in a newbie zone and even the bad priest AoE Holy Nova takes the mobs out if necessary.

Afterwards I went on a highly successful AQ20 raid. We killed all the bosses before Ossirian on the first try, and then killed Ossirian on the third try. On the first try we were unluck with the tornado just coming to the crystal we were all gathered around, and on the second try we had a lag spike which made us call one crystal a second too late. Supreme mode, war stomp for 9000 points of damage on 4 characters, and the fight was basically over. On the third try we got Ossirian down without problems. He dropped a very nice staff, but other players had more DKP than me, and I didn't get it. We didn't find the remaining Codex for the next rank of Prayer of Healing I'm still missing either. But I did get another 2000 points of CC reputation, and am just 1000 points away from honored now. Which means that I will need to do a dozen more AQ20 runs to reach revered, ouch! And to consider that this is the "fast" method to gain Cenarion Circle reputation, gathering it in Silithus would take even longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment