Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sending a message to Blizzard: World of Warcraft cancelled

The main disadvantage of a monthly subscription model is that if you only log into the game rarely and just for a few minutes, you still pay the same as somebody playing all day long. So I decided that it was time to send a message to Blizzard that I'm not happy with the way World of Warcraft has evolved: I cancelled my account. As far as I know WoW characters never get deleted, so I can resubscribe if the next expansion is better than the horrible end-game of Burning Crusade.

I think what kicked me over the edge was today's MOTD from my guild, the one you see first when you log on. It said they were going to Serpentshrine, and guild members should get their attunement sorted out. Ha, ha! As the attunement for Serpentshrine requires killing raid bosses in Karazhan and Gruul's lair, it is impossible to get attuned without the help of the guild. That made me realize that I'll never catch up to my guild again, at least not before the next level cap increase. I must say I liked the old raid game better. Going to BWL didn't require you to kill Ragnaros and Onyxia (although I *did* kill Ragnaros and Onyxia before going there), so catching up with your guild that had moved to the next harder raid dungeon was still possible. <- Note that this wasn't my only reason, just the last straw in my growing disillusionment with World of Warcraft.

Anyway, I'll probably resubscribe to WoW next year, when the next expansion comes out. But only if that expansion looks as if it was not too raid-centric. Right now I'm hoping that Blizzard gets the message that if they make content mainly for the elite, the masses are going to stop paying. Money talks louder than blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment