Saturday, June 23, 2007

Wowhead sold for over $1 million

I never used the site much, but I was aware that besides Thottbot and Allakhazam there is a World of Warcraft database site named Wowhead. And the news is that they were bought by Affinity Media's ZAM Network. Affinity Media also owns, or did own, IGE, the world's biggest gold farming company. And according to some sources they paid over $1 million for Wowhead.

Of course that caused some huge discussion, especially the "gold farmers bought Wowhead" part, which they deny. Other worry that Affinity Media now owns all major WoW database sites, a monopoly situation. But whether you think that gold sellers are the devil or the salvation of WoW, does that really matter? Would you refuse 1 million dollars? I wouldn't. If IGE came tomorrow and offered me 1 million dollars for my blog, I'd sell it to them without hesitation. Having a successful website is a nice feeling, but having a million dollars in the bank is a lot nicer, and more future-proof. So I just say "grats" to the guys of Wowhead, and wish them the very best for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment