Sunday, December 9, 2007

WoW Journal - 10-December-2007

Apart from fiddling with my hardware, I spent a lot of time this weekend just playing World of Warcraft, spread over three different characters: warrior, priest, and mage.

My warrior did mostly group activities, besides the solo daily quests. I finally got around to kill Terokk and finish that quest. But as the other group members also had a store of time-lost scrolls or offerings, I ended up killing Terokk three times, and the group even killed him a fourth time with another tank from the guild who needed him too. We got one epic cloak, but not for me, and of course I also gained oodles of Skyguard reputation. That made me hit exalted, and so I now own a nether ray epic flying mount. 160 gold just for show, the nether ray actually has less functionality than the normal epic flying mount, as it can't gallop on the ground, it always flies. Might be an advantage, as you don't have to hit space to take off any more, but in some situations I was using the flying mount to ride. I would love if Blizzard let people *ride* the flying mount in old Azeroth, and just not let them take off, instead of blocking usage outright.

I only visited one dungeon with my warrior this weekend, Sethekk halls. That was insofar funny as three of the other players repeatedly had problems getting out of the line of sight of the arcane explosions of Talon King Ikiss. On the third try the three of them were again dead, Ikiss was still more than half alive, and only me and the shadow priest were still around. But I kept his aggro, and Ikiss wasted a lot of time polymorphing the priest. The priest launched quick heals whenever he wasn't a sheep, keeping me alive, and I kept whittling Ikiss' life down. We both managed to avoid his arcane explosions all of the time, and after a rather long fight we actually won. You *can* two-man Talon King Ikiss, it just takes a while. :)

I did another group quest with my warrior, Zuluhed the Whacked, which opened up the Netherwing daily quests to me. That was a severe disappointment. In comparison to the Skyguard and Ogri'la daily quests, the Netherwing dailies are a boring grind. And there are no reputation rewards except for another epic flying mount with a different look and no added features. Compare for example having to kill 15 demons for Ogri'la for 12 gold and rep with having to kill about 80 creatures for the same Netherwing reward (40 crystals with about 1 crytal per 2 kills). I think I'll do each Netherwing quest once and then forget about it. Having two level 70s I have enough daily quests available to be able to choose.

Speaking of which, my priest got honored with Ogri'la this weekend, which enables him to do the Banish More Demons daily quest. I did that quest with both my warrior and my priest in short succession, and it is depressing how much better the holy priest is at soloing than the protection warrior. The priest kills the mobs in half the time, and thanks to the bubble ends up taking less damage than the warrior. I don't even need consumables to refill my mana thanks to the shadowfiend pet, while the tank uses a lot of bandages and cooked food between fights. I know that arms warriors are shining in PvP and solo PvE. But as you saw I usually do group activities with my warrior, for which he needs to be tank spec'd. And I can't respec several times a day depending on the situation. Other classes, who can solo well in their best group talent build, have a definitive advantage here. Blizzard should try to find special protection warrior skills to add which improve his damage output in solo PvE, without making dps warriors even more powerful in PvP. I'm a bit worried what is going to happen to warriors when the Death Knight comes around. Druids and paladins are already good alternatives to tanking in many group situations, and adding another tank class with better damage capabilities pushes the protection warrior into a "only good for raid tanking" niche. Well, to improve the situation I'll start gathering both dps and tanking gear for my warrior now, even if that means I'll have to roll need more often. Still not willing to respec, but maybe getting some better damage gear will already help a bit.

My mage leveled up to 35 this weekend, doing quests in Hillsbrad and Thousand Needles mostly. I think I'll do some more of those, and wait until I'm level 36 before moving to Dustwallow Marsh and trying the new quests there. But first the level 35 allowed me to raise the cap on all my tradeskills, so I was busy all evening doing tailoring and disenchanting, using up over 720 runecloth I had stored on some bank alt. I'm close to 300 tailoring now, and then I'll be busy a while to reach 300 enchanting. I also want to do the cooking and first aid quests to get those skills up as well. It's so nice to have lots of plans to what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment