Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A personal decision

I already mentioned that my WoW server had problems last weekend, preventing me from playing as much as I wanted. I didn't mention that instead of playing WAR instead, I reacted by a mix of impatiently camping the WoW servers, and walking away to watch some DVDs. I logged into WAR once, emptied my mailboxes, and logged out again, feeling absolutely no desire to play WAR. Meanwhile my head is full of all the things I want to do next in WoW. I have to face it: I effectively quit WAR already.

This isn't completely unexpected, even before I started playing WAR I said I would probably just play it until Wrath of the Lich King comes out. And me preferring WoW is not necessarily a judgement on the respective qualities of the two games. It is a personal decision, based on personal preferences. I like PvE more than PvP, always did, and World of Warcraft is simply the better fit to my preferred gaming style. I did like many parts of Warhammer Online, like open groups and public quests, but with everyone mostly playing scenarios, the parts I liked in WAR just didn't happen as much as I would have wanted them to.

And in the end it is like Melmoth says: It's a matter of whether you are having fun in a game, and not always easy to explain why you haven't. It isn't something you can really argue about. I am in no way dissing those of you who prefer WAR over WoW, that would be *your* personal decision, based on *your* personal preferences, which are exactly as valid or silly as mine. There is no reason whatsoever why we should all prefer the same game, and in fact I think it is healthy that *not* everyone prefers WoW, because competition is good for the genre. I wish Mythic the best of luck with their game, and hope they'll break that million subscribers mark. I might be back some day, and am looking forward to all those improvements they promised us. But for now my gut tells me to play World of Warcraft, and who am I to argue with my gut?

No comments:

Post a Comment