Thursday, February 22, 2007

Flying out of Outland

Mr. Gone is wondering why you can't use flying mounts in the old world. And I must admit it is a bit annoying. Shortly after I dinged 70 and bought my flying mount, I had to head to Karazhan to start the quest chain for the key, and really would have liked to fly there. But, alas, no can do.

Unlike Mr. Gone, I at least know the reason why you can't fly in old Azeroth: The old world consists in many parts of Potemkin villages, hollow facades with nothing behind. If you could fly over them, you'd see half-spires floating in the air, with no towers attached and similar strange sights. If you take the zeppelin to Undercity and watch the spires of Lordaeron very closely while the zeppelin flies through Tirisfal Glades, you can catch a glimpse of some of these floating towers. Old Azeroth also has some empty areas, like the area behind the Greymayne Wall in Silverpine Forest, which are probably meant to be added later, but right now are just a hole in the ground.

How do I know that? Well, I *did* fly over old Azeroth after all. Just not in the game, but using a program called WoWmapview. It doesn't help you to get your character around, but if you want just to take a look at the world from above (unanimated), with this program you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment