Sunday, February 4, 2007

Ninjalooters

My World of Warcraft evening ended on a rather unhappy note. I went with my guild to the Caverns of Time for the first time, to rescue Thrall. The final boss of that instance dropped some nice blue shoulders with +35 to healing spells, the Pauldrons of Sufferance. And the warlock presses NEED, rolled higher than me, and won the item. Which was especially annoying because earlier some cloth pants had dropped, which would have been a minor upgrade to my epic ones, and I had passed because that same warlock needed them more than me. So he ended up with two good items, including a healing one, and I got nothing. Damn ninjalooters, you'd think you're joining a guild group instead of a pickup group to escape them.

He said he was sorry, and his excuse was that he had thought the item was +35 to both healing and damage spells. And he got a point there. Curiously on green items the spell bonuses are displayed better, in the same font as the stat bonuses, and more succint. But on blue and purple items the spell bonuses are written in a smaller font, in green, and in a longer phrase. The ones that give +healing and spell damage are easy to confuse with the ones that only give +healing.

Nevertheless, I'm always taking the time to really look at each dropped item, and to compare it with what I'm already wearing. If it isn't much better than what I have, and could be useful to other classes in the group, I even ask whether they need it first. A little loot discipline goes a long way in keeping everybody happy, especially in guild groups, where you are likely to group with the same people again. Hitting need before even properly reading the description and without regards to others is just not the way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment