Friday, February 2, 2007

PSP regional code

I spent this week in the US on business, but that also gave me opportunity to do some shopping. And in an EB games store I stumbled upon a real find: Sid Meier's Pirates! for the PSP, for just $20. But on the back there was a regional coding logo from region 1, US, which would be incompatible with my region 2, Europe, PSP. But I had read that on the PSP the regional code wasn't enforced for games, only for UMD movies, and so I thought I'd risk those $20.

And it worked! I can confirm that in spite of the logo, the region 1 game is working just fine on my region 2 PSP. Sid Meier's Pirates! on the PSP looks exactly like the PC game of the same name, and plays pretty much the same way. Only that on an European Amazon website the game is listed as not yet released, only coming out mid-March, and costing over $40! I'd rather have my games 2 months earlier and for half the price, thank you! I can see why European retailers would prefer regional coding lockout.

No comments:

Post a Comment