Saturday, November 3, 2007

Gilmore Girls

I'm in a bit of a gaming slump. The only game I still play regularly is a beta I can't write about due to the NDA, and even that I'm playing less than I used to play previous games. So less time with games leaves me more time for other things. And for a slump there can be nothing better than watching endless episodes of a fluffy TV series: I just finished all 6 seasons of the Gilmore Girls on DVD. (Season 7 should come out this month.) And the great thing is that in all the 6 seasons together *absolutely nothing* happened. It's a mystical fantasy world, where financial hardship is defined as having to cut out coupons from the newspaper, and the love childs of teenage pregnancies end up in Ivy League colleges. Totally unrealistic, but if you're in the mood for fluff it's perfect.

Academic literature critics probably won't agree, but the Gilmore Girls remind me very much of the Jane Austen novels. It's 200 years later and on a different continent, but the scope and subject are the same. Female heroines whose problems are mostly limited to those of love and social standing. The fact that nothing really happens is cleverly disguised by the witty dialogue, full of cultural references. For a non-American the cultural references are not always easy to understand. But in return the series gives a nice overview of American mating habits; is dating really that formal in the USA?

Well, now I have to look for another fluffy TV series to fill my time. I hear Picket Fences has been released on DVD this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment