Thursday, November 1, 2007

Mythos impressions

Thanks to the reader who sent me a Mythos beta invite I was able to test this game, and it's a gem. There is a good description including video up at West Karana, so I'll not go too much into the details of how Mythos works. Basically it is a Diablo clone, including the isometric view. I very much like the comic style graphics. And Mythos is so much fun! You get lots of choices to make how to spec your character, the combat is exciting, and you get tons of loot.

I especially like the map system. Maps can lead you to quest or random dungeons. And although I *know* that the dungeons are all randomized, they don't necessarily feel that way. There are several different tile sets from crypts to mines to caves, lots of different monsters, and a good number of boss mobs dropping the better loot. And because the map says for what level it is and whether it is for solo or group play, you can choose what kind of dungeon you want to visit. Very cool.

Absolutely unbeatable is the price, because Mythos apparently will be free to download and free to play. The game will be financed by microtransactions, but I haven't seen what you'll be able to buy with cash yet. Mythos isn't really encroaching on MMORPG territory, but I had more fun in Mythos than in the comparable Dungeon Runner, Hellgate: London, or Tabula Rasa. Although of course my preference of isometric view and the fantasy genre influence my judgement here. A fun little game, recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment