Sunday, November 11, 2007

The resurrection of my WoW account

Blizzard, in an attempt to stem the ebb of dwindling subscriber numbers in the US and Europe, has started a new marketing campaign: The Scroll of Resurrection. That works a bit like the invite-a-friend campaign, only that in this case you can invite friends *back*, after they have been inactive for at least 90 days. The invited friend gets a free 10-day trial, and if he resubscribes you get a free month. So I invited myself back into World of Warcraft.

Well, technically my wife invited me back. While my account has been cancelled since July, my wife was still playing on hers, very casually, weekends only. So now I used her account to send a scroll of resurrection to my account, and then got back in the game. I then resubscribed for 3 months, so I should get 30 free days on my wife's account as well as the 10 free days on my account. Good deal, seeing how it is me who pays for both accounts.

The plan is to advance to phase 5 of the player life-cycle: Recovery, by playing casual. More specifically I want to play my blood elf mage, currently level 11, to see first the rest of the blood elf content (Haven't visited Ghostlands yet), and then see whatever new content is available for level 20 to 60 in next weeks patch 2.3. I don't know yet how much I am going to play my two level 70 characters, priest and warrior. My old guild kicked me out, for which I don't blame them after 4 months of absence. And last night I checked what they were doing, and found that they had 29 players online, 25 of which were in Tempest Keep. I don't think I'd want to rejoin them, they look too hardcore for my casual recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment