Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dual-boxing gone too far

I have three computers at home, and two World of Warcraft accounts, the second of which is being used by my wife. So I do have more than the necessities to do what is called dual-boxing, that is playing two characters at the same time on two computers. Imagine how fast you could level lets say a rogue if you had a level 60 priest standing behind him on autofollow, and every time your life got low you just pressed a key on the second computer's keyboard to heal the rogue. Or you could group any level 60 with any lower level character and just solo places like the Deadmines. I just never did it, because I don't see the point in leveling fast. That is like watching a movie on fast forward, you get to see the end faster, but it isn't quite as enjoyable.

Now Magroth sent me the link to a story about a guy who wants to solo a 40-man raid using 40 accounts. The guy already has 5 accounts and soloes PvP with a group of 4 mages and 1 priest. Now he says he wants to make a group of 40 characters, 35 of which would be mages, and solo Ragnaros, inspired by a video where a raid with 33 mages in it kills Ragnaros. Funny story, but I doubt he will get there. The cost alone for the hardware, T1 connection, and 40 accounts is staggering. And then you still need to level up all those characters to 60, probably in groups of 5.

In a way the story is a comment on how far people will go to avoid playing with others. Pickup groups from hell, guild drama, who needs all of that if you can play the whole guild by yourself? Not really my thing, *I* enjoy the social interaction, even if sometimes it goes bad. But if you like to solo and the game puts challenges in your way that can't be soloed, I can see how one might dream of soloing Ragnaros.

No comments:

Post a Comment