Saturday, May 14, 2011

Voting with my wallet

In spite of spending a lot of time with elves and wizards, I am very well aware of the necessities of real life: Bills have to be paid at the end of the month, developers need to eat, and game companies need to make a profit to keep the developers employed and the games running. Which is why I don't mind paying for games, not even for those labeled "Free2Play". As long as I feel I am supporting a worthy game. And of course I like analyzing the various different models what kind of advantages you get for your money.

So now that it turned out that I like World of Tanks more than I thought I would, I did buy "gold", their store currency. That makes a huge difference. Fans will tell you that the gold tanks and ammo which are exclusive to people paying money aren't all that good, and I would agree. But the main effect of paying money is to get to everything much faster: Crew training normally takes ages, but by spending gold you get them to 100% immediately, which has a huge effect. Gold allows you convert the useless experience you gain with your lower level tanks into free experience you can use with your top of the line tanks. And you can buy "subscriptions" for various amounts of time with gold, and the 50% more experience points and credits speed things up considerably. Veterans tell me that at the higher levels it actually gets very hard to advance without gold, as repairs end up costing you all your income without the 50% bonus. Oh, and if you still need credits (the currency you can earn in game), you can always exchange gold for currency.

I also spent real money for buying credits in Glitch. Which isn't necessary at all, because you can only spend them on fluff, items that change your appearance. But as I would really like to see Glitch succeed, I don't mind forking out some cash to support them.

No comments:

Post a Comment