Friday, June 24, 2011

Star Wars Galaxies closes down

Star Wars Galaxies was announced to close down on December 15th. I'd assume that there aren't all that many players left, and a part of those leaving for SWTOR is a definitive possibility. Other than that, I can't say much about SWG, because I don't know the game. Well, I knew the *old* Star Wars Galaxies, but I never played the NGE SWG.

The one feature I am going to miss is the resource gathering system in Star Wars Galaxies. Resources in SWG have stats, they are collected by harvesters, not manually, and the locations of the resources change every week. That leads to a brilliant system where exploration for resources makes sense. Resources with better stats give crafted goods with better stats, so there is a real incentive. And the search for resources is a complete game on its own. The system is unique, and now it's shutting down. What a pity!

No comments:

Post a Comment